NATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS & FEDERAL AGENCIES
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- The Lifeline provides immediate assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to individuals in suicidal crisis by connecting them to the nearest available suicide prevention and mental health service provider through a toll-free telephone number: 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
National Institute of Mental Health
- THE NIMH website has a section on suicide prevention that includes information and resources useful for a variety of audiences, including researchers, health care professionals, and consumers. NIMH also conducts research on suicide and suicide prevention.
American Association of Suicidology (AAS)
- AAS is a nonprofit organization that promotes research, public awareness and education programs, and training for professionals and volunteers. It serves as a national clearinghouse for information on suicide, publishing and disseminating statistics and suicide prevention resources. AAS also hosts national annual conferences for behavioral support professionals and survivors.
- The Trevor Project is a nonprofit organization that provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to LGBTQ youth ages 13-24, educates young people and adults on detecting and responding to suicide risk among LGBTQ youth, and advocates for laws and policies that will reduce suicide among this population.
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- VA operates the nation's largest integrated health care system, with more than 1,700 hospitals, clinics, community living centers, domiciliaries, re-adjustment counseling centers, and other facilities. VA administers a variety of benefits and services that provide financial and other forms of assistance to Service members, Veterans, their dependents and survivors.
U.S. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- SAMHSA funds and supports the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, and funds state, territorial, and tribal programs to prevent suicide among youth. It developed the National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices (NREPP), which reviews evidence of effectiveness for prevention programs on topics related to behavioral health, including suicide.
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP)
- AFSP is a nonprofit organization that funds research to advance understanding of suicide and suicide prevention. It also offers educational programs and resources for behavioral support professionals, survivors of suicide loss, and the public about suicide prevention. AFSP’s chapters organize suicide awareness events and build connections among local resources and services addressing suicide prevention.
- The Jed Foundation is a nonprofit organization that protects emotional health and prevents suicide among college and university students by: (1) helping colleges and universities create comprehensive programs to promote mental health and prevent suicide, (2) helping parents recognize and find support for their child’s mental health problems, and (3) helping young people recognize and find help for their mental health problems as well as those of their peers and friends.
National Alliance on Mental Illness
- NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness. NAMI is one of the nation's leading voices on mental health with hundreds of local affiliates, state organizations and volunteers who work to raise awareness and provide support and education. NAMI provides a variety of free trainings and family and peer support programs.
National Action Alliance for Suicide Prevention
A public-private partnership dedicated to advancing the National Strategy for Suicide Prevention.
STATE RESOURCES & ORGANIZATIONS
Colorado Crisis Service
- A 24/7 crisis hotline connecting all callers to a highly-skilled, trained counselor at a crisis center in your area.
Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment
- Office of Suicide Prevention
Sarah Brummett, Director
Suicide Prevention Coalition of Colorado
- P.O. Box 17614, Boulder, CO 80308